Analogy to reinforced concrete?
Reinforced concrete is so durable/affordable because:
- it is a composite of mix opposite durability profile materials
- main ingratiate the concrete is very cheap – possibility to creating big structure
- Concrete has very good ratio of hardness to price
- Easy to form – fills destination form
Concrete (without reinforcing of steel) is extremely durable for squeezing forces, but very sensitive for stretching forces. Whereas steel is very durable for stretching forces but no so durable for squeezing forces. Steel is also durable for squeezing forces. But its important that the concrete is far more cheaper than steel. Also concrete is easy to form big structures and is durable for corrosion. Main disadvantage is of kind of composite (reinforced concrete) is weight!
New way of composite – High pressure reinforced foam
So if we make new composite of mixing two or more main materials durable for stretching and squeezing forces but this material will be far more lighter? Is it possible and affordable? In near future yes!
Light and cheep material durable for squeezing forces? Gas(air etc.) in yours lungs! But wait a moment gas is durable for squeezing?! In simplification it only issue of gas pressure. High pressure gas be expanding can appose by tend to expanding to almost every squeezing force. It is matter of pressure.
Material durable for stretching forces? Of course Carbon fibers. Bubbles with Carbon fiber – Liquid polymer with high dense of carbon fibers.
Gas expanding, does not allow make high pressure bubbles?- We have 3 main ways to make high pressure bubbles:
- Making foam in very high pressure atmosphere. I normal atmosphere gas in bubble has much higher pressure than atmospheric pressure. Pressure foam bubbles = forming pressure – atmospheric. This has lots of disadvantages especially in big structures or in material which should be use under high pressure
- Making foam in cold atmosphere with liquid gas, which expands in normal temperature – it a problem material which could make foam i low temperatures….
- Extract extract gas pressure in bubbles under using activator. E.g. Forming form in normal conditions next active internal one-way process extracting gas into bubbles which rises internal pressure.
- Lase forming
High pressure composite foam not stiff like reinforced concrete because has compressible gas? In many cases it will be advantage because it will reduce/dissipate vibrations and material stresses.